One day your entire life is going to flash before your eyes. Is it going to be a great show?
Maybe you’ve already checked off items on your Bucket List, or perhaps you haven’t even started to list what you want to do the rest of your life. What’s really important is that you are here & ready to get going.
What do you need to do to become a Bucketlister?
1. Write it down, right now. What are the things you truly want to experience in life? Do you want to ride in a balloon, learn to play bridge, take tango lessons, ride a train across the U.S., write a mystery novel, bake a really super loaf of bread, swim & bask in the sun in Tahiti, join the Peace Corps, fall in love for the last time? Remember, it doesn’t really matter what goes on your list, only that you have one.
2. Prioritize & order your list. If you could only do one thing on your list, what would it be? Two things? Figure out if you can combine list items; e.g., Can you ride horseback in Iceland, see the Northern lights, visit your long-lost cousin in Scotland & return home via a cruise ship that stops in the Canary Islands?
3. Begin working your list. What time, work, family & financial goals must you meet in order to begin checking off items on your list? Do you need to accumulate more vacation time or retire, sell something, take a class, buy a camera? Or do you just need to convince yourself that you are ready to tackle adventure?
4. Fully experience each new challenge on your list. Don’t become obsessed with just checking off list items. This isn’t a contest to see who can check off the most experiences. These are your choices, & to not savor each one to the fullest is to cheat yourself.
5. Be opportunistic. So you have decided on your next goal, but all of a sudden you get an email that contains a promotion code for a super deal on something you never thought of doing, but sounds terrific. Is this really a dilemma or an opportunity? That’s up to you, but if you’ve got an open mind, almost anything is possible.
As in most things in life, attitude is the key to success, so be sure to pick a good one for your journey through the rest of your life!